Charterhouse bans Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale indefinitely over VGMA commotion

Charterhouse, organizers of the annual Vodafone Ghana Music Awards (VGMA) have indefinitely banned dancehall artistes Stonebwoy and Shatta Wale in the awards scheme.

Announcing the decision at a press conference in Accra on Thursday, the Board Chairman of the VGMA, Amandzeba Nat Brew said the awards won by the two artistes on the night of the 20th edition of the scheme have been nullified.

He said they are expected to return the plaques they received on that day to Charterhouse.

The decision comes on the back of the confusion that happened on Sunday dawn during the awards event with the two at the center stage.

The incident, which led to Stonebwoy pulling out a gun on stage marred the event and attracting bad publicity to it in both local and international media.

The two are currently facing legal action after Charterhouse filed a police report over the incident.

What happened on the night?

After Stonebwoy mounted the event stage to receive his award for being named Reggae/Dancehall artiste of the year, Shatta Wale and his team of more than five persons began walking towards the stage too.

This triggers Stonebwoy’s manager who confronted the team and engaged in fisticuffs in one of the Shatta Wale team members.

The situation escalated in a serious brawl, making it difficult for security officials to control them.

One person, identified by police as Nii Amoo also used pepper spray in the process, causing some persons including crew members to pass out.

Stonebwoy also pulled out a gun in the process but did not fire.

Stonebwoy apologized for the incident when he returned to the stage to receive another award.

He did so again in a statement, just as the management of Shatta Wale.

Shatta Wale and Stonebwoy were however arrested by the police on Sunday and put before court on Wednesday after spending a night in police cells.

Stonebwoy and Shatta Wale were charged with Offensive Conduct to breaches of the peace.

Stonebwoy was additionally charged with Display of a weapon in a public place without permission.

The two pleaded not guilty when they appeared in court on Wednesday and were granted bail of ¢50,000 each with one surety and cautioned to be of good behaviour until the determination of the case.

قالب وردپرس