Impressive Brighton knock out Bournemouth

Impressive Brighton knock out Bournemouth

Brighton exploited an error-strewn display by Bournemouth to reach the FA Cup fourth round with a fine away win at the Vitality Stadium.

The hosts dominated for the first half hour until Anthony Knockaert drilled the Seagulls in front and Yves Bissouma added a second three minutes later, beating Artur Boruc from 30 yards.

Marc Pugh’s superb strike shortly after half-time reduced the deficit.

But an unmarked Florin Andone wrapped up victory by heading in on 64 minutes.

Lys Mousset missed an open goal for Bournemouth moments before Knockaert’s opener, with Eddie Howe’s side failing to make the most of their early control.

In contrast, Brighton were clinical, scoring with all three of their shots on target against a Cherries defence that has now conceded 15 goals in their last four games in all competitions.

Brighton keeper Jason Steele also made fine saves from David Brooks and Steve Cook to repel Bournemouth’s late surge.

After a quiet opening, Bournemouth started to get on top of their fellow Premier League side, Jordon Ibe and Ryan Fraser frequently beating Brighton defenders with surging runs to create openings.

On 28 minutes, Ibe turned and drove into the area, creating space for a shot that was blocked by Shane Duffy straight into the path of Mousset, only for the Frenchman to lift his effort over the bar from eight yards out with Steele stranded.

Brighton were quick to punish that miss as a long pass forward for Jurgen Locadia running in behind was not dealt with by Cook, allowing the Seagulls striker to track the ball down and backheel it for the impressive Knockaert, who drove low past Boruc.

Bournemouth then sat off Bissouma in midfield, giving the Mali international time to work it onto his right foot and fire a dipping effort past Boruc and in off the post, with the Cherries keeper also misjudging the bounce.

Boruc was nervy throughout, failing to reach crosses he came for and putting his defenders under pressure with poor distribution, while Locadia missed a chance to put Brighton 3-0 up by heading against the post.

The hosts were still dangerous in attack and threatened a comeback when Surman slid a pass to Pugh, who rolled his man and smashed his shot inside the far post for his first goal in 17 months.

But their lack of defensive cohesion showed once again, Brighton scoring from their first corner of the game as Boruc flapped loosely at the ball and Duffy was left free at the back post to head it across for Andone to turn in.

Even then, Bournemouth had chances to at least claim a replay, but Steele was equal to everything, diving to his left to deny substitute Brooks and then high to his right to keep Cook’s looping header out of the top corner.

‘We were 2-0 up against the run of play’ – reaction
Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe: “These games always swing on small moments, and the chance that came our way that we missed just before the goal was key.

“We haven’t maximised our chances, and we’ve been easy to score against recently, and that must change.

“We’ll go away on the training ground and try to put that right now.”

Brighton manager Chris Hughton: “I’m really delighted to go through – we’ve got a tough period coming up but I would rather be in the next round than not.

“We didn’t start the game too well, we had some problems early on and we probably were 2-0 up against the run of play.

“But we managed the game well in the second half and it’s a great result for us.”

Source: BBC

قالب وردپرس